In case you missed it, here are some of the most popular features from last week (August 23rd through 28th).
Features & Columns
Lesson: Melodic Construction
Jon Burr introduced a new lesson series, on melodic construction in improvisation.
Player Spotlight: Adam Tanner
Our player spotlight showcased the work of Adam Tanner (aka ZenBeer), a solo bassist from Ottawa, Ontario.
Ask Damian Erskine: Melodic approach to soloing
A reader asks: “How do you approach the line between creating an interesting melody while soloing as opposed to playing chord tones and notes that harmonize better?”
Interview with Catalin Rotaru
Catalin shares his insight into the double bass and his career as a professional classical performer and educator
Ray’s raving about: Nat Janoff’s “Looking Through”, with Matthew Garrison
Ray shares a CD he came across in his search for “all things Garrison”, and found Nat Janoff’s “Looking Through”.
New Releases & Reviews
- Russ Sargeant: Loop Improv #1
- Meshell Ndegeocello: Faithful, live
- Stu Hamm solo, live at Vicar Street Dublin
- Goatika and Tony Levin: LEVITATION
- Les Claypool: One Better, live at Bonnaroo 2008
- Charles Mingus: Goodbye Pork Pie Hat live in ’75