Here are the top 10 articles from No Treble last week.
This is the audio track for Marvin Gaye’s “Ain’t That Peculiar”, with the James Jamerson’s bass and Uriel Jones’s drums isolated from the original Motown master tape.
2. Lesson: Efficient 20 Minute Practice
This week’s lesson focuses on planning efficient practice so you can always make the most out of limited time.
3. Video Hulk Hogan: bass player for hire
From the archives: a hilarious story from Hulk Hogan about him wanting to be the next bassist for Metallica.
4. The Lowdown with Dr. D: The Lowdown with Dr. D.: Upright Slap Bass: Starter tips and etudes
Here are a few etudes to help you improve your slapping.
5. Gear Watch: MXR Bass Envelope Filter
Jim Dunlop has introduced a new Bass Envelope Filter pedal to their Bass Innovations line, the MXR Bass Envelope Filter.
Them Crooked Vultures’s entire Austin City Limits show is now available.
7. Gear Watch: Ansir Amico
Ansir Music has announced the release of their new Amico line of basses, designed based on an idea by bassist Joey Green.
8. Lesson: A lesson on live looping for bass
Russ Sargeant shares this live looping lesson with us, on upright bass using Mobius software and the Behringer FCB1010.
9. Player News: Stanley Clarke helps present basses for charity
Stanley Clarke was a special guest at the Grammy Museum during a ceremony that introduced five new upright basses, which will be auctioned for charity.
This is one smokin’ performance by Elvis and his awesome rhythm section: bassist Jerry Scheff, rhythm guitarist John Wilkinson and drummer Ronnie Tutt.