An all-star salute to bassist Mick Karn, who is battling cancer, will be released on September 28.
Karn was diagnosed with latter-stage cancer this summer, and fundraising efforts began, to help Karn cover his medical expenses and care for the family. Response from the music community has included tribute concerts, auctions and now a new tribute album, …a show of love, respect & grace – a tribute to Mick Karn, which will be released digitally in major digital music outlets. The format was chosen to get the album out quickly, and all net proceeds will be donated to Karn.
The album includes 16 tracks from many artists who are “determined to repay the artistic debt they feel is owed to Karn.”
“When asked to contribute a track,” explains Colin Edwin, bassist of progressive rock group Porcupine Tree, “I had no hesitation in doing so, having been a fan of Mick’s unique work for many years. I choose the track ‘Plural’ since it seemed appropriate to have something with both prominent fretless bass and also an odd-time signature; both elements that are associated with Mick’s own highly-distinctive music. As a bassist, I count him as an influence, although he is by far, too exceptionally original to copy.”
Karn is the fretless bass master most known for his work with Japan. Donations can be made on his website. We wish him and the Karn family all the best.
…a show of love, respect & grace Tracklist
- Brainkiller – “Michaelsketch”
- Climax Golden Twins – “Crint”
- Colin Edwin (Porcupine Tree) – “Plural”
- David Torn – “Renaissance Mensch (dt for mk)”
- Edward Ka Spel – “Hauptbahnhof”
- Elijah B Torn – “what”
- Eraldo Bernocchi – “Dreamt Of Dreaming”
- Eraldo Bernocchi – “The Ship”
- Eraldo Bernocchi – “No Turning Back”
- Kllu – “Unthink”
- Martin Schulte – “Angels”
- Meditronica – “Ki Eshmera Shabbat (Gaudi Remix)”
- Peter Gannon (Calla) – “For MK”
- The Mantra Above The Spotless Melt Moon – “Blanca”
- The Mantra Above The Spotless Melt Moon – “The Ship”
- Witchman (featuring Rosanne) – “No More”