Meet Dave Tribe, a bassist from Brighton, UK and our player in the spotlight for December 28, 2010.
I’ve recorded with and by Norman Cook, Russell Simins (Blues Explosion), Saul Davies (James), Jonny Milton (Dreadzone, Aswad), Goat, Byron Wallen, Carnival Collective, Sam Flynn, Tics etc. I’ve also gigged alongside The Smiths, Manic Street Preachers, Aztec Camera, The Go-Betweens, The Brand New Heavies, James Taylor Quartet, Ruby Turner, Dread Zeppelin, The Redskins, Squarepusher, Talvin Singh, Big John Patton, Johnny Lytle, members of Stomp and many others. I worked as a music tutor for the successful ‘Live’ music courses run by the Princes’ Trust and for Access To Music, plus a variety of other organizations facilitating music tuition in the UK.
Music Workshop Facilitator, Bass Tutor, Administrator, Library Music Composer
Bands & Gigs:
I play with Carnival Collective, a 50 piece band which has a bateria of about 30 drummers, 10 horn players, vocalists, guitar, keys and of course bass, it’s a crazy outfit! We play a lot of contemporary music with a twist! Kalakuta Millionaires which is a 11+ Afrobeat/Latin Funk outfit, and Tics (my own project with my wife Rachael) which is an Electronic based duo with loud guitars…kind of B-52 meets the Yeah Yeah Yeahs meets Bowie/Eno. I’ve backed off live work for the moment and concentrated on producing and recording.
- Musicman Stingray Bass
- Warwick Streamer 2, 5-string bass
- Wal Mark 1 Fretless 4-string
- Customised P style 4-string with J pickups
- Digitech Whammy 2 – guitar effect,but great on bass.
- Electro Harmonix POG – great effect on bass
- Electro Harmonix-Graphic Fuzz- dirty!
- Rat Deucetone- powerful dirty sound!
- MXR Flanger and Carbon Copy- classic tones from those pedals
- Line 6 DL4- revolutionised my sound!
- Line 6 MM4- great modulating effcts.
- Boss RC-20XL- indispensible tool for building up loops
- Gallien Kruger MB150S mark 3- great little amp, plenty of scope for different tones.
- Behringer BA410 cab – loud enough for the 50 piece band!
Why I play the bass:
My guitarist brother suggested I should as he was starting a band. I was very keen and immediately felt an affinity with not being in the spotlight, but being integral and essential. It became a passion!
My bass superpower/claim to fame
I did record with Norman (Fatboy Slim) Cook a few years back. Recorded with Blues Explosion drummer Russell Simins, Saul Davies from the band James, as well as few others. I’ve gigged at every Glastonbury Festival for the last eight years. I’ve worked with some awesome musicians and tutors.
Bass wise – Bootsy Collins, Bill Laswell, Doug Wimbish, Percy Jones, Barry Adamson, Mick Karn, Tina Weymouth, Kim Clarke, Robbie Shakespeare, George Murray, Bernard Edwards, Larry Graham, Herbie Flowers.
Sonic wise – Fripp and Eno, King Tubby, Adrian Sherwood, Boards Of Canada, Adrian Belew.