Les Claypool has finally revealed some clues about the new mystery bass he was sporting during Primus’ New Year’s Eve shows.
“What I played at those shows was a semi-finished prototype bass that I designed and had built by my old pal Dan Maloney,” he wrote in a Primus update.
Maloney is also responsible for building Claypool’s banjo bass, called “The Banji.”
“The design is something I’ve been working on for quite some time,” Claypool explained. “Having had the opportunity to play many exceptional instruments over the years I’ve been able to incorporate elements of some of my favorites. Besides my own design fanciness, it is part Fender Jazz Bass, Precision, Rickenbacker 4001, Carl Thompson, Jaguar E-Type (yes, the car) and a bit of Dr. Suess… Ideally some of these instruments I’m developing will be available at some point but I want to work with and refine the bass for a while before we start selling them.”
The Primus frontman has been mostly associated with his iconic Carl Thompson basses, which have set high expectations for the new instrument.
“I am a picky bastard and for me to put my Carl Thompson aside, this has got to be an exceptional instrument. Some may wonder why I didn’t have Carl make the instrument and the answer is that Carl is a unique artist and his designs stand on their own. Carl’s instruments are beautiful because they are all unique unto themselves.”
In other news, Primus announced their first European tour since 1998, set for June and July. Starting in Amsterdam, the 11-date trek will take the trio through the continent, ending up with two UK dates. For tickets and info, visit the Primus website.
Primus 2011 European Tour Dates:
- June 18, 2011: Amsterdam, NL Paradiso
- June 22, 2011: Paris, FR La Cigale
- June 24, 2011: Vitoria, ES Azkena Rock Festival
- June 26, 2011: Pavia, IT Castello Sforzesco
- June 27, 2011: Rome, IT Pala Atlantico
- June 29, 2011: Vienna, AT Arena
- July 5, 2011: Berlin, DE Columbia Club
- July 9, 2011: Kongsberg, NO Kongsberg Jazz Festival
- July 10, 2011: Copenhagen, DK Vega
- July 12, 2011: Manchester, UK Academy
- July 13, 2011: London, UK Brixton O2 Academy