Alusonic takes metal bass to a new level – the Italian bass builders make their instruments out of aluminum, citing characteristic and environmental reasons. The special Anticorodal and Ergal alloys that they use are naturally light, rigid and produce a balanced, fat sound while Aluminum is completely recyclable, making it more eco-friendly. On top of that, the body provides full shielding and rejects electromagnetic interference.
A shining example of their work is the S-Special, a bolt-on design featuring an aluminum alloy body, hard maple neck and fingerboard. As each Alusonic instrument is fully customizable, options for a hard maple neck/carbon fiber hybrid neck are available. Finished with a high gloss, the fretboard may also be exchanged for Pau Ferro, rosewood or ebony.
Alusonic offers the S-Special with a pair of humbuckers, either the modern I-Spira neodymium MM’s or the Nordstrand MM4.2 customs, which are inspired by the sounds of the ’70s.
The controls include AD electronics with Volume, Bass and Treble knobs. The hardware is rounded out Hipshot Ultralite tuners, a black 3-ply pickguard, a graphite nut, and your choice of a brass or Ergal bridge- brass provides a stronger modern sound while Ergal gives a “slightly compressed, controlled and warmer sound.” Altogether, the S-Special weighs in at 10.4 pounds.
The Alusonic S-Special comes in 4 or 5-string models with a base price of €2,500 (~$3,457). For more details, visit the Alusonic website.
Alusonic S-Special Aluminum Bass Gallery:
Alusonic S-Special Aluminum Bass Specs:
- Body: Milled from a solid block of Anticorodal | Ergal Aircraft Grade Aluminium
- Construction: Bolt – on
- Neck: Hard Maple or Hard Maple-Carbon Fiber: Exclusive Carbon/Cell System
- Neck Thickness: 20.5mm at 1st fret, 22mm at 12th fret
- Neck Finish: High Gloss / on request any kind of finish and colour
- Fretboard: Hard Maple / on request Pau-Ferro, Rosewood or Ebony
- Radius: 9.5”
- Position Marks: Side Dot / on request Face Dot, Blocks, Binding
- Fretboard Finish: High Gloss / on request any kind of finish and color
- Frets: 21
- Nut: 42mm Graphite
- Scale: 34”
- Bridge: Alusonic Brass or Ergal
- String Spacing: 20mm
- Tuners: Hipshot Ultralite
- Pickups: I-Spira MM or Nordstrand MM4.2 Custom
- Controls: AD Electronics: Volume, Bass and Treble
- Hardware: Alusonic Chrome / on request Black or Gold
- Pickguard: Black-3ply / on request any kind of material and colour / blank body
- Strings: 45/105 Nickel
- Weight: 4.7 kg (~10.4 lbs)
- Available Colours: Mirror Finish / on request any kind of polishing, finish and colour
- Accessories: ABS Hardcase by SKB, Security Strap Lock, Hex Wrench Set, Lifetime Warranty