The Red Hot Chili Peppers are among the 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees, alongside Guns N’ Roses, Donovan, the Beastie Boys, Laura Nyro, and the Small Faces/The Faces. The group, which formed in 1983, will be honored during the Induction Ceremony in Cleveland, Ohio on April 14th, 2012. Founding member Flea posted on the band’s website about the announcement.
“We are getting inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I am not usually one to get to excited about awards or accolades, but about this one I am very excited indeed,” the bassist said. “Our band is really riding a high right now. We are out on the road, playing some of best shows we have ever done… I am truly grateful for this honor. To our fans, who have supported us for all these years, given us purpose, and wildly energized us night after night, thank you.”
Flea also pays respects to former members Hillel Slovak (who died of a heroin overdose in 1988), Jack Irons and John Frusciante. There’s no word yet of whether the latter two will join the current members for the honors.
The funk-rock quartet also released ten more U.S. tour dates this week. With more shows to come, the band’s new leg of shows will continue to take them around the South, visiting states from Florida to Oklahoma.
New Red Hot Chili Peppers Tour Dates:
- January 20, 2012: Sunrise, FL – Bank Atlantic Center
- January 21, 2012: Orlando, FL – Amway Arena
- January 23, 2012: St. Petersburg, FL – St. Pete Times Forum
- February 4, 2012: New Orleans, LA – New Orleans Arena
- March 6, 2012: San Antonio, TX – AT&T Center
- March 8, 2012: Houston, TX – Toyota Center
- March 9, 2012: Dallas, TX – American Airlines Center (on sale 12/9)
- March 13, 2012: Tulsa, OK – BOK Arena
- March 15, 2012: Oklahoma City, OK – Chesapeake Energy
- March 16, 2012: Little Rock, AR – Verizon Center
Check here for the rest of their tour dates.