Mike Lull Custom Guitars has announced the Jeff Ament JAXT4 Signature bass, to be available starting in January 2012. The Pearl Jam bassist worked closely with Lull on the specifications of the bass, which is a modified version of Lull’s T4. One of the key features to the JAXT4 is it’s oversized body, which is 20% larger than Lull’s regular T4, though it’s thinner to accommodate for weight and balance.
“Over the past 22 years I’ve been doing Jeff’s work, and we’ve been custom building stuff 19 to 20 years of that time,” luthier Lull told us in our exclusive interview. “Through the years, he always liked the way big body basses looked, but didn’t like the way they sounded. He liked Jazz basses but he always wanted something just a little bit bigger to hang on his body the way he wanted, but we were always fighting the weight factor, too.”
The Ament model also has a reverse headstock that features the bassist’s signature and a custom logo.
The bass comes in four wood and finish configurations:
- Satin black polyester finish w/ chromed aluminum JA pickguard (mahogany body/mahogany neck/rosewood fingerboard)
- Satin kerry-green polyester finish w/ solid white plastic JA pickguard (mahogany body/maple neck/maple fingerboard)
- Gloss clear polyester finish w/ chromed aluminum JA pickguard (swamp ash body/maple neck/maple fingerboard)
- Satin cardinal-red polyester finish w/ solid black plastic JA pickguard (mahogany body/mahogany neck/rosewood fingerboard)
The Mike Lull JAXT4 will be available in January after it’s shown at the 2012 NAMM Show. Retail on the bass is $5300, with a street price closer to $3,975. For more info, visit the Mike Lull website.
Mike Lull Jeff Ament JAXT4 Signature Bass Specs:
- 4 Wood/Finish options (see above)
- Contoured Neck Heel
- 34” Scale length
- 21 Frets
- 12” Radius Fingerboard
- 1 -1/2” Nut Width
- Bone Nut
- Custom Chrome Tailpiece and Bridge
- Polished Stainless Steel Saddles
- Hipshot Ultralite Tuners
- Custom Mike Lull T-Bass Pickups
- Full Electrostatic Shielding
- All instruments PLEK’d
- Options: Hipshot D-Tuner