Daring Audio has expanded their line of bass pedals with the announcement of the all-new high definition pedal, the Edge Activator HD. The pedal is 100% analog circuitry with a high-headroom preamp as well as constant volume for wet/dry blend between two internal channels.
The predecessor to the HD version is a popular pedal for bassists, used to accentuate slapping, tapping and harmonics techniques. The HD version adds enhanced harmonic excitation and natural overdrive, while maintaining the original’s “new string sounds”, overtones and frequency response control.
Daring Audio says they based the new pedal’s features on bassist feedback, including these new features:
- Two position EQ midrange toggle switch “EQ-Hi” for high midrange cut or boost, and “EQ-Lo” for low midrange cut or boost, with carefully selected frequency centers for enhancing the differences due to playing technique changes: for slap, pop, tapping and harmonics on bass.
- Expansion of the Range control allowing differing amounts of excited or overdrive frequencies to be added in. This expansion now covers some of the range from our classic overdrive Particle Beam product for added versatility.
- Expansion of the Gain control, enabling line level signals for re-amping, previously requiring the Pad switch and now allowing more boost if needed.
- A new toggle switch “Crisp/Smooth” where Crisp allows a full range 20-20K Hz for active bright sounds and Smooth provides high-end roll-off for more vintage or classic rock overdrive settings, particularly useful on guitar signals.
- The Blend control now goes 100% wet to 100% dry, allowing use of the preamp with or without the effects of blended overdrive and excitation.
The Edge Activator HD has a 18V high headroom on a single 9V battery, or standard center-negative, Boss-style 9V adaptor, and includes true bypass switching. Pricing is set at $199, and the pedal will begin shipping in March, 2012. The company says they’re now taking pre-orders. For more information, visit Daring Audio’s website.