The Rob Allen MB-2 is a unique semi-hollow bass designed to combine the warmth of an upright with the punch of a solid body electric bass. Though it’s available in a fretted version, the MB-2 comes standard as fretless to keep with the organic feel.
The bass is offered in three variations depending on the top selected: Maple, Walnut, or Koa.
Allen matches the maple top with a mahogany body and cocobolo fingerboard, while the walnut top sports an ash body with ebony fingerboard and the Koa top is paired with a mahogany body, ebony fingerboard, and tortoise binding. The basses are given minimal oil finishes, which the luthier explains is to retain optimum resonance.
Other features include Hipshot tuners, a Fishman Matrix piezo pickup, and an optional f-hole in the body.
Available in 4 or 5-string models, the Rob Allen MB-2 is built to order with prices starting at $2800. For more info, check out Rob Allen’s website.
Rob Allen MB-2 Bass Photo Gallery:
Rob Allen MB-2 Bass Specs:
- Scale: 34” on 4-string; 35” on 5-string
- Nut: 1 5/8” on 4-string; 1 7/8” on 5-string
- Birdseye maple neck finished in satin lacquer
- Oil finish on body
- Lined or unlined fretless fingerboard
- Grained ivoroid or tortoise binding
- Semi-hollow body design
- Volume control incorporated into bridge
- La Bella 760n strings
- Hipshot tuners
- Fishman Matrix piezo pickup
- Gig bag included
- Weight: 6.5 lbs on 4-string; 7 lbs on 5-string