While supergroups seem to be forming left and right these days, this one has got our attention.
Spectrum Road is a band consisting of bass legend Jack Bruce, Living Colour’s Vernon Reid, drummer Cindy Blackman-Santana and keyboardist John Medeski of Medeski, Martin and Wood. The group originally played together in 2008 as the Tony Williams Lifetime Tribute band, and a string of shows last year led them to take the spirit of the band and continue on their own path. The band’s moniker also comes from a Tony Williams song.
“When I was playing in Japan in Osaka with Vernon Reid, we had the idea that we should do this,” Bruce explained. “I played with Lifetime a long time ago. Tony [Williams] was a very good, close friend and an inspiration musically to me and a lot of other people including Vernon and Cindy and John. So it was really our idea, but Vernon finally said ‘Let’s do it,’ and I said ‘Yea.’”
The quartet will be releasing their debut album this spring and kicking off a summer tour at the Bonnaroo Music Festival in Manchester, Tennessee. More dates are expected to be announced.
Spectrum Road Tour Dates:
- June 9, 2012: Bonnaroo in Manchester, TN
- June 16, 2012: San Francisco Jazz Festival at the Palace Of Fine Arts Theatre in San Francisco, CA
- June 17, 2012: Playboy Jazz Festival at the Hollywood Bowl in Hollywood, CA
- June 19, 2012: Alladin Theatre in Portland, OR
- June 21-24, 2012: Dimitriou’s Jazz Alley in Seattle, WA
- June 25, 2012: Vancouver Jazz Festival in Vancouver, BC
- June 27, 2012: Toronto Jazz Festival in Toronto, ON
- June 28, 2012: Montreal Jazz Festival in Montreal, QC
- June 29, 2012: BB Kings Blues Club in New York, NY
- June 30, 2012: Howard Theater in Washington DC
- July 6, 2012: North Sea Jazz Festival in Rotterdam, Netherlands
- July 8, 2012: Umbria Jazz Festival in Perugia, Italy
- July 21, 2012: Molde Jazz Festival in Molde, Norway
Here’s a clip featuring the band in a live performance at the Blue Note in Tokyo: