- These exercises can be done pizzicato or arco.
- If done pizzicato, I suggest beginning each pattern using the second finger of your right hand, followed by the first (i.e. 2-1) and alternating without exception.
- If done arco, I suggest you experiment with different bowings as you become comfortable with the left hand challenges.
- If done on electric bass, you should substitute third finger (3) for fourth finger (4) below, and expand the patterns to include all the left hand finger combinations available to you.
- Expand these out and come up with your own challenges
Some Keys to Success:
- Start very slowly, and gradually speed up the tempo
- Use a metronome to ensure a steady tempo and to help you mark your progress
- Use minimum pressure and minimum muscular effort
- Never “play through the pain.” If you get tense, stop.
- Gauge your progress in months, not days.
Drill on 3 strings:
Drill on 4 strings:
Note: Many people find this more challenging as a result of the stationary first finger.