Luthman is a company that puts out some pretty intricate work yet also knows simple elegance, the latter of which is evidenced in their Natural model. Handmade in France by luthier Thierry Etienne, the Natural has a unique, fluid body style with customizable options.
Available in 4-, 5-, 6-, and 7-string configurations, standard features on the Natural include an ovangkol body, a bolt-on maple neck with ovangkol stripes, and a rosewood fretboard. Ebony is substituted for rosewood in the fingerboard for fretless versions.
The pickups are a pair of Bartolini J-bass style single coils, which are described as having a deeper tone than vintage pickups with strength in the lows and low mids. They are matched to active Bartolini electronics with a control layout of Volume, Balance, Treble, Mids, and Bass. The Volume knob also doubles for switching the bass to passive mode. The bass is rounded out with an ebony nut, Gotoh tuners, a Luthman bridge, and an oil finish.
Luthman offers many choices of woods and pickups, so check out their website for more details.
Luthman Natural Bass Photo Gallery:
Luthman Natural Bass Video Demo:
Luthman Natural Bass Specs:
- Construction: Bolt-on (Neck-thru optional)
- Neck: Maple with Ovangkol Stripes
- Fingerboard: Rosewood (Ebony for Fretless)
- Body: Ovangkol
- Top: Ovangkol or other
- Scale: 34” (864mm)
- Frets: 24
- Nut: ebony
- Pickups: 2 Bartolini J-Bass
- Electronics: 9 volt Active Bartolini
- Tuners: Gotoh
- Bridge: Luthman
- Controls: Volume, Balance, Treble, Mid, Bass; Volume Doubles As Push-Pull Active/Passive Switch
- Control Knobs: Ovangkol or Bubinga
- Top and Body Finish: Oiled
- Accessories: Soft Case, Keys