Megadeth has announced a 20th anniversary edition of their seminal album Countdown to Extinction, which will be released October 16th in a box set as well as in digital format. The two-disc lift-top box set will contain a remastered version of the album as well as a previously unreleased 1992 concert recorded live at the Cow Palace in San Francisco, a booklet with a new liner notes essay by Kory Grow, a 24˝ x 36˝ poster and four collectible postcards of each member of the band.
Countdown to Extinction is widely regarded as Megadeth’s most successful album. Featuring classic songs like “Symphony of Destruction,” “Sweating Bullets,” and “Skin O’ My Teeth,” it hit #2 on the Billboard chart and went double platinum, selling over two million copies.
“Countdown was really one of my favorite records of the whole Megadeth catalog… for a number of reasons,” bassist David Ellefson told Artisan News earlier this year. “Musically, I think it brought together the best of thrash, the melodic part, writing big, hooky riffs. And that record really launched us into the mainstream, which opened up a lot of other opportunites and things for us to do. But more importantly, I think, than all of that, is it was a really cool time when the four of us were really, probably, our most connected together as a band.”
The band will be supporting the release with a U.S. tour kicking off November 9th in Providence, Rhode Island and wrapping up December 7th in Pomona, California. Each stop will have the band playing the album in its entirety, as well as tacking on other fan favorites to the set.
Megadeth North American Countdown to Extinction 20th Anniversary Tour Dates:
- November 9, 2012: Providence, RI – Lupo’s
- November 10, 2012: Huntington, NY – Paramount Theatre
- November 11, 2012: Worcester, MA – The Palladium
- November 13, 2012: Wallingford, CT – Oakdale Theatre
- November 14, 2012: Sayreville, CT – Starland Ballroom
- November 16, 2012: Atlantic City, NJ – House of Blues
- November 17, 2012: Niagara Falls, NY – Rapids Theatre
- November 19, 2012: Stroudsburg, PA – Sherman Theater
- November 20, 2012: Columbus, OH – LC Pavilion
- November 24, 2012: Myrtle Beach, SC – House of Blues
- November 25, 2012: Charlotte, NC – The Fillmore
- November 26, 2012: Atlanta, GA – The Tabernacle
- November 28, 2012: Kansas City, MO – Midland Theatre
- December 1, 2012: Salt Lake City, UT – Great Saltair
- December 2, 2012: Boise, ID – Knitting Factory
- December 4, 2012: Reno, NV – Grand Sierra Theatre
- December 6, 2012: Las Vegas, NV – House of Blues
- December 7, 2012: Pomona, CA – Fox Theatre