Just over ten years ago, the documentary Standing in the Shadows of Motown made its debut at the Apollo Theater in New York.
The film’s detailed look into the musicians behind all of Motown’s hits reignited the passion for the era’s music and led to the Funk Brothers receiving Lifetime Achievement Awards from the Recording Academy. As just about any bassist knows, the bass lines of James Jamerson were a huge factor in the Motown sound.
In honor of the film’s tenth anniversary, a touring show named Standing in the Shadows of Motown LIVE! will continue to bring the music to audiences across the nation.
The tour will focus on the music of Jamerson, with his son James Jamerson, Jr. filling the legendary bassist’s shoes.
The eleven-piece band, which features veteran sidemen from the Funk Brothers’ film and tours as well as producer and creator Allan Slutsky, will be fronted by multi-Grammy winner Peabo Bryson and STAX recording artist Leela James.
Each show will feature over two dozen classic Motown songs as well as “heartfelt reminiscences and side-splitting anecdotes” while “dozens of projected images and video from the movie will appear on a 9 X 12 screen above the band.”
Standing in the Shadows of Motown LIVE! Tour Dates:
- March 3, 2013: Rahway, NJ – Union County Performing Arts Center
- March 5, 2013: Providence, RI – Lupo’s Heartbreak Hotel
- March 6, 2013: Boston, MA – The Wilbur Theatre
- March 8, 2013: Washington, DC – The Howard Theatre
- March 9, 2013: Glenside, PA – The Keswick Theatre
- March 10, 2013: Huntington, NY – The Paramount
- March 11, 2013: Annapolis, MD – Ramshead On Stage (2 shows)