For quite some time, my go-to tuner app for iOS has been ClearTune (see my earlier review). So when I was asked to check out insTuner, I figured that if nothing else, I would be able to write a review about it.
As it turns out, I’m switching iOS tuners.
insTuner is a fantastically pleasing tuner to use. Not only is it extremely accurate, it just looks fantastic, with five modes available:
- Instant (for quick tuning on the fly, this focuses less on fine tuning and more on quick note acquisition for those hurried moments in between tunes)
- Strobe (considered to be the most accurate tuner display)
- Fine (for fine tuning that perfect intonation)
- FFT (with Log, Liner & Note Frequency display for frequency analysis)
- Spectrogram (with Log, Liner & Note and Median Frequency display for audio analysis)
While they all look great, I’m a big fan of the “Strobe” view.
The app also supports more than 30 temperaments, solfeggio, needle dampening, various waveform types for the included pitch-pipe, and a wealth of settings to tailor the tuner to your needs. It also works well using either the built-in mic or a line-in.
In short, this is a fantastic tuner for any iOS device, supporting landscape and portrait mode. It looks as good as it works.
Well worth the price of admission!
insTuner is a universal app, available for $3.99 from the App Store. The app is compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad and requires iOS 5.0 or later.
insTuner – Chromatic Tuner Features
- Universal App, purchase once, available on all of your iOS devices: iPhone/iPhone5/iPod/iPad.
- Supports both Landscape and Portrait mode
- Precise to ±1/1000 semitone (±0.1 cent)
- Tuning Range from C0 to B8, covering the range of almost all of musical instruments
- Instant Tuning Mode
- Strobe Tuning Mode
- Fine Tuning Mode with a highly responsive tuning meter for perfect tuning
- FFT Tuning Mode for frequency analysis with Log, Linear or Note Display options
- Real-time Spectrogram Mode with Log, Linear, Note and Median Frequency Display options for real-time audio analysis
- Well-designed “Fixed” note wheel display
- Adjustable A4 (Concert A) calibration in 0.1 Hz increments
- >30 historical temperaments
- 5 notations
- Needle damping
- Customizable transposition options for transposing instruments
- Tone generator with four wave forms
- Line-in and Built-in Microphone Modes