In this review, I’m changing up a bit from the typical mobile apps to take a look at one designed for Windows and Mac.
Speed Upp is a simple metronome concept, but one that is wonderfully implemented.
The app is designed for developing precision and speed, by guiding you during scale exercises and changing tempo as you go.
The app’s controls are simple through the presentation of a graph which allows you to pre-set tempo markings for your metronome. You set the app with the number of beats the metronome should play in each section of the graph before moving on to the next tempo. This allows you to set gradual (or extreme) tempo changes through time, without having to take your hands off of your instrument.
I plan on using this because as I’ve said in many an columns, I like to work on technical exercises or passages through difficult lines with gradual tempo markings, allowing me to build the muscle memory as well as practicing good tone and feel from a solid foundation.
There’s a free version of the app available, with speeds of up to 100bpm and no presets. The pro version is $16, but on sale now for $8.80. For more, visit the Speed Upp website.
Speed Upp App Specs:
- Built specially for training speed on musical instruments.
- Plays tempo following user-defined 34-column graph.
- Each column plays 1 to 600 clicks.
- Tempo graph can be programmed by drawing a line with mouse.
- You can save 6 custom presets including graph, beats per column and target tempo.
- Practice tempos from 20 to 300 bpm.
- Built-in best-practice tempo graph for optimal learning curve.
- Displays time remaining to the end of the drill.
- Fullscreen mode for distraction free experience.
- Higher and lower pitch first clicks let you know if next tempo slows down or speeds up.
Speed Upp system requirements:
- Mac: Mac Intel machine running OS X 10.5 or later, and at least 1 GB RAM.
- Windows: Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7 with a Pentium 4® or Celeron® compatible processor or higher and at least 1 GB RAM.