Here are the top 10 articles from No Treble for the week of March 21st, 2010.
1. Video: Jacogrow’s Funk Groove: Fretless Bass Improv
Choi Dong-Ju, who goes by the screen name “jacogrow” posted this cool fretless bass jam, showcasing some of his great Gary Willis-inspired bass playing.
2. Gear: TC Electronic BG500 Combo Amps
TC Electronic is introducing the new BG500 bass combos at the Frankfurt Musikmesse 2010, which runs from March 24th to the 27th. The 500-watt BG500 is available as a 1×15 or 2×10 combo, each equipped with a 1″ tweeter.
3. Player News: RIP Sean Stewart
Bassist Sean Stewart of the Australian alt-rock band HTRK died last week according to a recent statement by the band’s label, Blast First Petite Records.
4. Lesson: Live looping: Thinking outside the box
Our resident looping expert Russ Sargeant says that live looping may have become a little typecast in the minds of many musicians, but it can take on an altogether more creative, exciting and ‘edgy’ nature.
5. Ask Damian Erskine: Choosing A Bass
Damian answers a reader’s question: “I’m thinking of buying a new bass. What do you look for when instrument shopping?”
6. Lesson: Scale Patterns from Tetrachord Combinations
In this lesson we’re going to explore the concept of tetrachords and how they change the way we look at scales.
7. Gear: Aguilar Announces New Line of Bass Pickups
Aguilar Amplification has just announced the first in their new line of bass pickups, the AG-4J pick up.
8. Video: Stanley Clarke Remake: Hot Fun by Chiel
Here’s Dutch bassist “Chiel42” performing his own version of Stanley Clarke’s tune, “Hot Fun”.
9. Player News: Ex-Pantera Bassist Rex Brown to Debut New Band
Down and ex-Pantera bassist Rex Brown will be debuting his new band, Arms of the Sun, in Dallas, Texas on April 17.
10. Column: Contract Considerations
Whether you’re playing a small gig, major venue, or are signing a recording deal it’s crucial that you know the value of a contract and how to navigate one. This column covers some common advantages and pitfalls to having an engagement-contract for a performance and what to look for in a recording-contract.