After 20 years of work making and repairing stringed instruments, Meaulnes Laberge formed ML Basses to focus on building electric basses. One of his striking instruments is the Volcan, an edgy yet elegant design available in 4- and 5-string configurations.
Featuring bolt-on construction, the Volcan is built with a light maple body, three-piece maple neck and an Indian rosewood fingerboard. An interesting piece of hardware is a thumbguard made of ABS, which is slightly textured and scratch-resistant.
Other hardware on the bass includes a Graph Tech black tusq nut, a Hipshot A-style bridge and Hipshot Y-style tuners.
ML offers a few options for pickups including either Aguilar AG J-70s, EMG DCX/CSX, or EMG TWX sets. The controls are laid out for a pair of Volume knobs and a pair Tone knobs, though you have the option to include Aguilar’s OBP-3 preamp. ML also includes an on/off switch on every bass.
The ML Basses Volcan is hand built to order in Canada and has a base price of $2,575. For more, check out the ML Basses website.
ML Basses Volcan Photo Gallery:
ML Basses Volcan Specs:
- Scale Length: 34˝
- Body: Light Maple
- Neck: ML 3 pieces bolt-on Maple
- Truss Rod: Dual-action
- Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood
- Frets: 22
- Fingerboard radius: 16˝
- Inlay: 12th fret position ML logo
- Bridge: Hipshot A style Aluminum
- Tuners: Hipshot Y style
- Pickups: Aguilar AG J-70 or EMG DCX/CSX or EMG TWX sets
- Controls: 2 volumes, 2 tones or Aguilar OBP-3 preamp
- Nut: Graph Tech Black Tusq
- Nut Width: 4 strings: 42mm, 5 strings: 48mm
- Strap Buttons: Dunlop Strap Locks
- Strings: GHS Bass Boomers med. light
- Case: TKL Zero Gravity
- Other: Black ML thumbguard, black hardware, on/off “kill” switch