Dave Holland Releases “Prism”, Announces Tour
Dave Holland started his solo career 40 years ago with the release of Conference of the Birds. Having just Miles Davis’ group, the bassist, composer and new bandleader embarked on a four-plus decade run.
Prism, Holland’s first new album in three years is here, via his own label, Dare2 Records, which he began in 2005. The album features his band of the same name – a quartet featuring Kevin Eubanks on guitar, Craig Taborn on piano and Fender Rhodes and Eric Harland on drums.
Prism (the band) debuted at the 2012 TD Ottawa International Jazz Festival last summer. Holland has enjoyed the balance of the individually diverse musicians in the band, and the collaborative nature they bring. This also served as the inspiration for the group’s name.
“I liked the image of a prism dividing light into spectrum of colors,” Holland shared. “A visual symbol of the one becoming many. The music being a unification of diverse parts.”
Each member contributed their own compositions to the nine-track album. Prism also marks a new musical direction for Holland – an album without horns.
“The sound of this group is different from other projects I’ve done previously,” Holland said. “Most groups have featured horn players and I’ve rarely worked with keyboards in the band. But I wanted a different sound for this group and started thinking about a quartet with guitar, piano doubling on Fender Rhodes, bass and drums. That certainly has opened up some different musical directions.”
The new album will be supported by a tour (dates below).
Prism Track List:
- The Watcher
- The Empty Chair
- The Color of Iris
- A New Day
- The True Meaning of Determination
Prism Tour Dates
- September 21, 2013: Monterey Jazz Festival in Monterey, CA
- September 28-29, 2013: The Dakota in Minneapolis, MN
- October 1, 2013: Evanston Space in Evanston, IL
- October 4, 2013: MIM Music Theatre in Phoenix, IL
- October 5, 2013: Royce Hall, UCLA in Los Angeles, CA
- October 6, 2013: SFJazz Center in San Francisco, CA
- October 8-9, 2013: Jazz Alley in Seattle, WA
- November 26-30, 2013: Birdland in New York, NY
- October 16, 2013: Basel, Switzerland
- October 17, 2013: Clermont-Ferrand, France
- October 19, 2013: Hradel Kralove, Czech Republic
- October 20, 2013: Vienna, Austria
- October 21, 2013: Skopje, Macedonia
- October 23, 2013: Toulouse, France
- October 24, 2013: Frankfurt, Germany
- October 25, 2013: Umea, Sweden
- October 27, 2013: Oslo, Norway
- October 29, 2013: Gorzow, Poland
- October 30-31, 2013: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- November 1, 2013: Lausanne, Switzerland
- November 3-4, 2013: London, UK
- November 5, 2013: Elancourt, France
- November 6, 2013: Ales le Cratere, France
- November 7, 2013: Brescia, Italy
- November 8, 2013: Starsbourg, France
- November 9, 2013: Nevers, France