Bass of the Week: Bunker Guitars NY Charlie Bass
This week we check out the NY Charlie by Bunker Guitars. A signature instrument for New York City bassist Charlie Contreras, the bass’s design centers around the company’s Sustanium Tension Free Neck, which uses a resonant cold roll steel bar to handle the stress on the neck. The neck is then fitted with aluminum dowels to to bolt onto the body to create a tight bond for increased sustain.
The NY Charlie’s neck is a five-piece laminate neck made of maple and walnut topped with a figured maple fretboard. Its spalted maple body is finished in a translucent red with a mother of pearl logo inlay between the end of the fretboard and the neck pickup. The pickups are a P/J configuration set up in humbucker shells. Electronics include Bunker’s active preamp with a stacked treble and bass control, blend, master volume, mid control, and passive/active switch.
Bunker Guitars NY Charlie Bass Photos:
For more info, check out the Bunker Guitars website.
Bunker Guitars NY Charlie Bass Specs:
- Scale: 34″ inch
- Frets: 24
- Neck: 5-piece Maple/Walnut with Sustanium Tension Free System
- Nut: Corian
- Fretboard: Figured Maple
- Fingerboard Radius: 12 inch
- Body: Spalted Maple
- Body Finish: Red translucent
- Body Inlay: Mother of Pearl Logo
- Bridge: Bunker Individual Bridges
- Headstock: Matching Spalted Peghead Face With Logo
- Pickups: EMG pickups jazz configuration in bridge and Pbass in neck in soapbar style
- Electronics: Active
- Made in USA