Seven Yes Concerts Released in Their Entirety in New Set
Early 1970s Yes is in all of its glory on the 14-CD box set Progeny — Seven Shows from Seventy-Two.
The set features recently unearthed recordings from seven full concerts performed in North America between Oct. 31 and Nov. 20, 1972, back when Close to the Edge was a new album. Live material from that year’s tour is also well-known to yes fans, having been heard on the 3-LP Yessongs, released in 1973.
The Progeny set is unusual in that the set list didn’t really vary each night, but the package reveals how the band approached the songs with every show. For fans uninterested in hearing seven separate shows in full, the band has also released Progeny: Highlights from Seventy-Two, in which the setlist remains the same, but performances from a variety of concerts are used.
The seven shows are:
- 31 Oct 1972: Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 01 Nov 1972: Ottawa Civic Centre, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- 11 Nov 1972: Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, USA
- 12 Nov 1972: Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
- 14 Nov 1972: University Of Georgia, Athens, Georgia, USA
- 15 Nov 1972: Knoxville Civic Coliseum, Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
- 20 Nov 1972: Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Uniondale, New York, USA
The seven-show set, which boasts new artwork from longtime Yes cover artist Roger Dean, serves as a Yes time capsule, with the band, featuring founding member Chris Squire on bass, at the top of its game. Although Yes still tours, Squire will not be on stage with the band this year — the first-ever Yes shows without him since the band formed in 1968 — as he battles acute erythroid leukemia.
Progeny — Seven Shows from Seventy-Two Track List (same for all sets/discs):
- Opening (Excerpt from Firebird Suite)/Siberian Khatru
- I’ve Seen All Good People: Your Move/All Good People
- Heart of the Sunrise
- Clap/Mood for a Day
- And You and I [I. Cord of Life, II. Eclipse, III. The Preacher The Teacher, IV. Apocalypse]
- Close to the Edge [I. The Solid Time Of Change, II. Total Mass Retain, III. I Get Up I Get Down, IV. Seasons Of Man]
- Excerpts from “The Six Wives of Henry VIII”
- Yours Is No Disgrace