Bass & Creativity: Beat Phrasing & Time Elasticity
Welcome to this new lesson where we cover time elasticity and practicing with the metronome.
By playing behind or in front of the beat, we’ll experiment with laid out or edgy time feels on a constant tempo. We’ll see how it affects tension and release of the chord changes, how the body expresses it, and how it helps build rhythmic awareness and agility in a band setting.
- 00:00: Playing behind or ahead
- 00:43: Drag/push F quarter notes
- 02:15: F Blues walking bass, drag/push, tension and release
- 04:43: Adding syncopation and swing feel, drag and push
- 07:35: Solo phrasing and time feel
- 10:13: Building awareness