Following the release of The Prog Collective, former Yes guitarist Billy Sherwood’s companion album, The Fusion Syndicate is now out and features the same sort of dream team line-up Sherwood assembled for the first one.
Sherwood composed, produced and recorded the tracks with help from bassists Jimmy Haslip, Billy Sheehan, Colin Edwin, Percy Jones and Justin Chancellor, as well as a whole host of musicians from bands such as Mahavishnu Orchestra, Hawkwind, Dream Theater, King Crimson, Dixie Dregs and more (see the complete line up in the track list below).
“When I was asked to write/produce a fusion record I jumped at the chance. I’ve always had a deep love of Jazz and Fusion music having grown up listening to Weather Report, Return To Forever, the Mahavishnu Orchestra among many others in the genre,” Sherwood said about the album. “The record has become a musical dream team, including some of the world’s most renowned players in the field. The music reflects a time when virtuosity was the standard and incredible musicianship was the order of the day. Each artist sharing their talent and skill, blending it all into a bigger musical picture, creating an amazing expression of unity and purpose. I’m honored to be a part of it all and I thank all the artists who joined me on this journey, they have all lifted the music to a higher level.”
Preview and download The Fusion Syndicate:
The Fusion Syndicate Track List:
- Random Acts Of Science: Rick Wakeman (Yes), Jerry Goodman (Mahavishnu Orchestra), Nik Turner (Hawkwind), Jimmy Haslip (Yellowjackets/Alan Holdsworth)
- Stone Cold Infusion: Steve Stevens, Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater/Liquid Tension Experiment), Mel Collins (King Crimson), Colin Edwin (Porcupine Tree), Billy Cobham (Mahavishnu Orchestra)
- Molecular Breakdown: Jay Beckenstein (Spyro Gyra), Billy Sheehan (Steve Vai), Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree), David Sancious (The E Street Band)
- Particle Accelerations: Larry Coryell, Derek Sherinian (Dream Theater/Black Country Communion), Eric Marienthal (Chick Corea Elektric Band), Chester Thompson (Genesis/Frank Zappa)
- At The Edge Of The Middle: Steve Morse (Dixie Dreggs/Deep Purple), Jim Beard (Mahavishnu Orchestra), Randy Brecker (Blood, Sweat & Tears/Brecker Brothers), Percy Jones (Soft Machine/Brand X)
- Atom Smashing: John Etheridge (Soft Machine), Tony Kaye (Yes), Chad Wackerman (Frank Zappa)
- In The Spirit Of…: Steve Hillage (Gong), Scott Kinsey (Tribal Tech), Theo Travis (Steven Wilson Band), Justin Chancellor (Tool), Asaf Sirkis (The Orient House Ensemble)