A collaboration between Martin Off and luthier Jozsi Lak, the Off Guitar Design soulbrotha’ bass is unique mix of retro and modern design aesthetics. The bass, which gets its design from the company’s soulsista’ guitar, is handmade by Lak in Germany.
Much of the soulbrotha’s construction is optional, from the body wood (alder, swamp ash or mahogany) to the neck (birdseye or flamed maple) to the fingerboard (rosewood, figured maple, or ebony). Even the neck shape, fretboard radius, and fret size are up to the end user. Of course, fretless and left-handed options are available, too.
Standard hardware includes Hipshot Ultralite tuners and a Hipshot bridge, while the pickups are typically by David Barfuss or Häussel. The bass comes with a simple passive electronics setup, though active can be installed.
Off Guitar Design soulbrotha’ Photo Gallery:
Off Guitar Design soulbrotha’ Specs:
- Construction: Bolt-on
- Body: Alder, Swamp Ash or Mahogany
- Neck: Figured Maple (Flamed or Birdseye)
- Headstock Slightly Angled, With Ebony-Veneer
- Tuners: Hipshot Ultralite
- Fretboard: Rosewood, Figured Maple or Ebony
- Scale Length: 34”
- Frets: 20, Medium
- Pickups: David Barfuss or Häussels, Others on Request
- Pickup Configurations: Choice of Different Configurations
- Electronics: Passive or Active Electronics (Extra Charge)
- Bridge: Hardtail, With Strings Through Body Option (Hipshot)
- Finish: Solid Color, Metallic or Translucent, Nitrocellulose, High Gloss