This week we check out the Ronin Prætorian, a bass built with the environment in mind. Central to the instrument is its “Salvaged Old Growth Redwood” (or S.O.G.R.) body, which the company reclaims from old barns, wineries, and agricultural buildings. Each piece is selected for a tight quarter-sawn grain structure, which the company explains offers improved sound transfer and acoustic clarity.
The Prætorian’s body is matched with a lightweight Honduran mahogany neck that’s topped with a 5A rosewood fingerboard. Its fingerboard radius is hand shaped and comes in 9″, 10″, or 7.25-9.5″ options. The neck contour is also hand shaped in either C, Slight V, or asymmetrical V profiles.
Following the sustainable route, Ronin utilizes “new old stock” Oil in Paper tone capacitors for a smooth tone roll off. The pickups are matched set of the company’s Staple P90’s with either black or cream covers.
For more info, check out the Ronin Guitars website.
Ronin Guitars Prætorian Photos:
Ronin Guitars Prætorian Specs:
- Body: Ultra Lightweight S.O.G.R
- Neck: Extra Lightweight Honduran Mahogany
- Heel: Callaham Heel Plate
- Fingerboard: 5A Rosewood
- Frets: 20
- Fretwire: Stewmac 154 or 148
- Scale Length: 34″
- Radius: 9″, 10″ or 7.25-9.5″ Hand Shaped
- Back Contour: C, Slight V or Asymmetrical V all Hand Shaped
- Nut Width: Approx 1.625″ Hand Shaped
- Nut Material: Unbleached Bone
- Inlay: Genuine Mother of Pearl Dots or Clay Dots
- Finish: 100% Un-Catalyzed Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Pickguard: Hand Made 3 or 5 Ply Plastic w/ Optional TruIvory
- Bridge: Hipshot Vintage Brass or Aluminum B Style
- Tuners: Hipshot HB1
- Pickups: Ronin Staple P90 Matched Set
- Electronics: NOS .047 100v Sprague/Philco Paper In Oil Capacitor, 500k CTS Linear Taper Pots