Gear Watch: Industrial Radio MIDI Bass
Industrial Radio has released very cool new product: the MIDI Bass. The Midi Bass is a hybrid bass guitar and MIDI controller able to connect to and control synthesizers and samplers via MIDI. With the MIDI Bass you will be able to plug into and accurately control both hardware and software synths as well as samples directly from the bass.
The MIDI Bass detects notes via a series of electronic sensors embedded throughout the pickups, fingerboard and bridge. When a note is played, sensors detect this and generate a parallel MIDI stream that can be routed to any MIDI compatible device. This is synchronized with the regular bass audio from the magnetic pickups. This means you get an incredibly fast response and have the ability to double your normal playing with a MIDI instruments or sound sample. The MIDI Bass also has a built in LCD display.
The features include:
- Colors: 3-Tone Sunburst, Olympic White, Black, Charcoal Frost, Ice Blue Metallic, Candy Apple Red, Ocean Turquoise, Teal Green
- Body: Agathis (Similar to Alder in density & tone)
- Neck: Maple neck, Graphite-reinforced, Gloss finish headstock, Satin finish on back of neck
- Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood, 7.25” Radius with printed Lexan overlay
- Nut: Corian
- Frets: 21
- Pickups: Nordstrand ‘Big Splits’
- Bridge: Chrome with Graph Tech Ghost Series piezo saddle pickups (string frontload)
- Machine Heads: Schaller chrome
- Hardware: Chrome
- Pickguard: Tortoiseshell, Black, or White
- Scale: 34”
- Width at Nut: 37.5mm
- Controls: Volume, Balance, Passive Tone, MIDI Volume, MIDI switch
- Two connectors: 1/4” audio jack & 8-pin DIN connector (connects to Midi Bass Module)
- Display: 2 line, backlit Liquid Crystal Display
The MIDI Bass is built-to-order by Industrial Radio and starts at US $3995.