Reader Spotlight: Toby Webb
Meet bassist Toby Webb, our player in the spotlight for March 2, 2010.
Originally from Memphis, Tennessee, I’ve been been playing since 1979 and toured and performed as a session player with many top Asian acts. I’ve produced a couple of CDs for independent artists as well as my own band, OSS.
Kulua Lumpur, Selangor, Malaysia
I run my own agency, Triple Tee Productions. We book bands for five-star hotels and night clubs, handle corporate events and back up Asian artists on tour. We also have a media branch that does advertising.
Bands & Gigs:
I’m in several bands. My cover band is called Da-remix. My original bands are OSS and Project Tee.
- Tune custom TWXT 5-string with Floyd Rose style Tremolo
- Yamaha TRB 6PII
- Lakland DJ 5-string
- Status-Graphite Stealth 6-string
- Fender American Deluxe Jazz 5
- F-Bass FN6
- SWR SM-500 (I’ve had it since 1989)
- SWR Goliath III 4×10
- SWR Big Foot 2×12
- Allen Heath mixer
- Roland GT 6B (for live gigs)
- Line 6 Bass pod XT live (for the studio)
- Three Sennhiser wireless system (for bass)
- One Mipro Wireless (for vocals)
- Macbook pro with Logic, Reason 4, Pro Tools, Cuebase AI
- I-Mac 24″ (with same programs as above)
Why I play the bass:
I was originally the keyboard player in my band in high school. One weekend the bassist did show for the gig. You can’t play funk with no bassist, so they guys said “You’re the only one who can play bass, so it’s your new job!”
My bass superpower/claim to fame
My gig requires that I sing play and dance at the same time. I’m fine as long as I don’t think about it!
Aaron Mills (Cameo), Mark Adams (Slave), Larry Graham, Boosty Collins, Chuck Rainey, Benard Edwards (Chic), Mark King, Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller, and last but certainly not least, Verdine White!
More on the web:
Want to be featured in an upcoming Reader Spotlight? Just fill out the interview questionnaire.