Maxon has updated their Real Tube series with the introduction of the RTC600 Real Tube Compressor. The new device will replace the company’s RCP660 model. The RTC600 offers improvements in design and audio quality while remaining true to the former’s spirit.
Housed in cast zinc, the RTC600 is a studio grade tube compressor preamp built into a portable pedal design. It uses a precise RMS level detection circuit and high-performance VCA to achieve what Maxon describes as a “warm yet bold compression sound with an ultra-low noise floor.”
The tube is also placed pre-compression to give classic warmth, while an In-Rush Current control helps to extend the tube’s life by beginning to warm it up at a low voltage, similar to standby mode on an amp.
As with professional compressors, the controls include Threshold, Gain, Ratio, Attack and Release. The flexibility allows for dialing in everything from “Brick Wall” to “Soft Knee” compression.
The RTC600 features True Mechanical Bypass switching and is powered by a 9-volt AC adapter (included). The pedal will be available for a street price of $389. For more info, visit the Maxon website.
Maxon RTC600 Real Tube Compressor Pedal Specs:
- Pre-Compression tube placement
- In-Rush Current control heats tube at low voltage as soon as power is applied to circuit.
- Internal charge pump runs circuit at 25 volts, providing massive headroom and full-range frequency response.
- Variable Threshold control between 0-40 dBu
- +30 dB of clean Gain
- Variable Ratio of 1:1 thru 1:?
- Variable Attack and Release controls to fine-tune compression effect