Robert Hurst Releases “Bob a Palindrome”
Veteran jazz bassist Robert Hurst has released Bob: A Palindrome on Bebob records. Hurst’s sixth album as a leader has been a long time in the making with original songs written as far back as 1985. It was recorded in October of 2001, but between his time playing as a member of the Tonight Show Band, touring with Diana Krall and Chris Botti, and teaching at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, the album was kept as a work in progress.
The record features a host of heavyweight musicians including Branford Marsalis, Jeff “Tain” Watts, Marcus Belgrave, Bennie Maupin, Robert Glasper, and Adam Rudolph. Each of Hurst’s compositions draw from people that inspire him. “3 for Lawrence” pays homage to Lawrence Williams, a Detroit drummer who strongly influenced the bassist, while “Big Queen” and “Little Queen” are for his wife and daughter, respectively. “Middle Passage Suite” focuses on black history with inspiration from Charles Johnson’s prize-winning novel, Middle Passage.
Bob a Palindrome Track List:
- 3 for Lawrence (feat. Bennie Maupin & Marcus Belgrave)
- Picked from Nick (feat. Robert Glasper)
- Big Queen (feat. Marcus Belgrave)
- Tigers On Venus (feat. Jeff Tain Watts)
- Middle Passage Suite: Part I – For Those of Us Who Made It (feat. Adam Rudolph)
- Middle Passage Suite: Part II – For Those of Us That Didn’t Make It (feat. Adam Rudolph)
- Middle Passage Suite: Part III – For Those of Us Still Here (feat. Branford Marsalis, Bennie Maupin & Jeff Tain Watts)
- Little Queen (feat. Branford Marsalis & Robert Glasper)
- Indiscreet in Da Street (feat. Branford Marsalis & Robert Glasper)
- Jamming – A.K.A. Ichabad