Q: I live in Ethiopia and I am a 4th year bass student. I have some problems my left hand. Do you have advanced finger exercises?
A: For this question, I’m going to point you to a variety of resources – here on No Treble, and across the web.
There are a variety of stretching exercises, finger independence exercises, tendon exercises and general hand maintenance links. While these things are helpful, remember that it is important to also play your instrument regularly. Focus on time, tone and feel. Experiment with hand positions, different fingerings and finger positions. Get to know your instrument and how your body interacts with it most efficiently.
- Health & Fitness for The Working Bassist (No Treble column series)
- Finger Dexerity Exercises (eHow)
- Finger Dexerity Exercises (Livestrong)
- Dexterity and Stretching Exercises for Fingers (Youtube)
- A classic finger exercise (Youtube)
- Some variations (Youtube)
- Advanced variations (Youtube)
- John Patitucci”s “Spider” exercise (Youtube)
- A Quick Warmup for the Left Hand (Lowdown with Dr. D column)
- Three Exercises for Releasing and Relaxing the Left Hand Thumb (Lowdown with Dr. D column)
- Finger Stamina Exercises for Bassists (Lowdown with Dr. D column)
And if you really want to dig in, check out all of the left-hand focused columns here.
Beyond that? Plain old time and hard work will get you there.
Readers, do any of you have any favorite finger exercises or stretches that you like? Please share in the comments!