David Gilmour Releases Solo Album, Plays Bass on Several Tracks
David Gilmour, best known as guitarist/vocalist for legendary rock band Pink Floyd, has released his fourth solo album, Rattle That Lock, which he co-produced with Roxy Music guitarist Phil Manzanera.
Gilmour handles bass on four tracks, while Guy Pratt (session bassist and son-in-law of late Pink Floyd keyboardist Richard Wright) plays on two and double bassist Chris Laurence on one. Both Pratt and Laurence appeared on Gilmour’s last solo album, On an Island, released in 2006.
Gilmour said in an interview available via Amazon that he can end up playing other instruments on his records because he gets impatient once he has an idea. Sometimes he’s happy with what he’s created, other times, he enlists another musician to play it better.
The title track is one of those pieces where Pratt, not Gilmour, holds down the low end:
Rattle That Lock is available in several editions: single CD, deluxe CD/DVD, deluxe CD/Blu-ray, vinyl and as a digital download (iTunes and Amazon MP3). All the deluxe editions feature bonus audio and video. The CD deluxe editions include a hardbound book, a copy of Book II of John Milton’s epic poem “Paradise Lost” (which provided inspiration for Gilmour’s wife, lyricist Polly Samson) and memorabilia. The vinyl package includes a 16-page booklet.
Rattle That Lock Track List:
- 5 A.M.
- Rattle That Lock
- Faces Of Stone
- A Boat Lies Waiting
- Dancing Right In Front Of Me
- In Any Tongue
- The Girl In The Yellow Dress
- And Then…
- Barn Jam 1
- Barn Jam 2
- Barn Jam 3
- Barn Jam 4
- The Animators – Alisdair + Jock (Documentary on makers of the “Rattle That Lock” video)
- “Rattle That Lock” video
- The Animators – Danny Madden (Documentary on maker of “The Girl In The Yellow Dress” video)
- “The Girl In The Yellow Dress” video
- Polly Samson and David Gilmour at The Borris House Festival of Words and Ideas (Documentary on their creative collaboration)
- The making of the “Rattle That Lock” album (Documentary)
- Audio – “Rattle That Lock” Extended Mix
- Audio – “The Girl In The Yellow Dress” Orchestral Version
- Audio – “Rattle That Lock” Youth Mix – 12′ Extended Radio Dub
- Audio – “Rattle That Lock” Radio Edit
- The “Rattle That Lock” album in 5.1 Surround Sound