Spinal Tap’s Derek Smalls Reveals Album Details, New Song
Back in June, we reported that Spinal Tap bassist Derek Smalls (portrayed by actor/bassist Harry Shearer) would be releasing a solo album. Now we have more details and the title track from Smalls Change.
The album, which is a contemplation on an aging rocker, is packed with guest artists including Peter Frampton, Donald Fagen, Dweezil Zappa, Rick Wakeman, Richard Thompson, Steve Lukather, Joe Satriani, Waddy Wachtel, Jeff “Skunk” Baxter, Paul Shaffer, Steve Vai, Larry Carlton, Judith Owen, Jane Lynch and The Hungarian Studio Orchestra. Smalls handles the bass except for the closing song, “When Men Did Rock”, which has Snarky Puppy’s Michael League holding down the low end.
Check out the album’s title track:
Fans will also be glad to hear that Smalls will be launching a U.S. tour called “Lukewarm Water Live: An Adventure In Loud Music”. Current dates start April 14th in New Orleans with other dates in Atlanta and Washington, D.C.
Smalls Change Track List:
- Openture – Derek with The Hungarian Studio Orchestra
- Rock ‘N’ Roll Transplant – Derek with Steve Lukather (guitar, TOTO), drum legends Jim Keltner (George Harrison) and Chad Smith (RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS)
- Butt Call – Derek with Phil X (guitar, BON JOVI) and Taylor Hawkins (drums, FOO FIGHTERS)
- Smalls Change – Derek with The Hungarian Studio Orchestra, Judith Owen (vocals) Danny Kortchmar (guitar, Don Henley) and Russ Kunkel (drums, James Taylor)
- Memo To Willie – Derek with Donald Fagen (vocals), Jeff “Skunk” Baxter and Larry Carlton (guitars, STEELY DAN) and The Snarky Puppy Horns
- It Don’t Get Old – Derek with Peter Frampton (guitar, vocals) and Waddy Wachtel (guitar Keith Richards).
- Complete Faith – Derek with The Hungarian Studio Orchestra
- Faith No More – Derek with The Hungarian Studio Orchestra and Todd Sucherman (drums, STYX)
- Gimme Some (More) Money – Derek with Paul Shaffer (piano and organ), Waddy Wachtel (guitar) and David Crosby (vocals)
- MRI – Derek with Dweezil Zappa (guitars)
- Hell Toupee – Derek with The Hungarian Studio Orchestra
- Gummin the Gash – Derek with Steve Vai (guitar), Gregg Bisonnette (drums, Ringo Starr) and Jane Lynch (vocals)
- She Puts The Bitch In Obituary – Derek with Richard Thompson (guitar) and Jane Lynch (vocals)
- When Men Did Rock – Derek with Michael League (bass), Joe Satriani (guitar), Rick Wakeman (keyboards) and The Hungarian Studio Orchestra