Stuart Clayton Publishes “The Plectrum Bass Book”
Stuart Clayton has released another great set of transcriptions in his latest offering, The Plectrum Bass Book. The collection of 16 complete bass lines highlights some of the best pick playing in bass history.
“Covering everything from rock and punk, to funk and fusion, this book celebrates the work of the world’s most highly regarded plectrum bassists,” Clayton writes. “Within these pages, you’ll find songs featuring session bassists Anthony Jackson, Tony Levin and Carol Kaye, rockers such as Roger Glover, Pat Badger, and Justin Chancellor, and funk players such as Bobby Vega.”
The song list includes Tim Armstrong’s blistering lines from Rancid’s “Maxwell Murder,” Anthony Jackson’s iconic “For the Love of Money” riff, Carol Kaye’s funky “Hikky Burr,” and more.
All of the transcriptions are written in standard notation with TAB accompaniment. Clayton also includes detailed analysis and performance techniques for recreating each bassist’s sound.
The Plectrum Bass Book is available now through Amazon in paperback.
The Plectrum Bass Book Song List:
- Carry On Wayward Son – Kansas
- Cupid’s Dead – Extreme
- Down in the Tube Station at Midnight – The Jam
- For the Love of Money – The O’Jays
- Games People Play – Mel Tormé
- Get the Funk Out – Extreme
- Highway Star – Deep Purple
- Hikky Burr – Quincy Jones
- I Get High On You – Sly Stone
- Maxwell Murder – Rancid
- Nice ‘n’ Sleazy – The Stranglers
- Nite Sprite – Chick Corea
- Roundabout – Yes
- Schism – Tool
- Sledgehammer – Peter Gabriel
- Whipping Post – The Allman Brothers Band