Modern Improvisation for Bass, published by Alfred Music Publishing, covers a range of topics, including broadening music vocabulary with modes, altered harmony, and chord substitutions, creating walking bass lines, using pedal tones and chordal arpeggios, and expanding soloing possibilities.
Alfred offers MP3 downloads for practicing and playing along to the exercises and examples in the book.
Check out these sample pages (PDF) from the book.
Jimmy Haslip: Modern Improvisation for Bass Contents:
- “Run for Your Life”: A Study of Rhythm Changes
- Developing the Walking Bass Line
- Altered Variations of Rhythm Changes
- “Galileo”: Ideas on the Major Scale Inspired by Jaco Pastorius
- “Gabriela Rose”
- The Wheel of Improvisation