Gear Watch: FEA Labs Dual Distortion Pedal
FEA Labs has announced their latest creation, the FEA Dual Band Distortion pedal, which utilizes a variable crossover, two distortions, an overdrive, and a final mixer all in one package. First, the variable crossover to split your bass signal into two frequency bands: high and low. From there, the low frequency band is sent to an octave-up distortion circuit, which is mixed with a clean low band signal and fed into hard clipping distortion circuit. An octave knob on the low band side acts as a cross-fader between the two signals, and allows you to blend them as you see fit.
At the same time, the high frequency band is sent to an overdrive distortion circuit which is controlled on the right side of the pedal with Drive, Mids, Highs, and Level knobs. If you only want one or the other, a distortion bypass switch allows you to only use one of the frequency band distortions at a time. In addition to all the crunchy glory, a dry level knob is included to add clean low-band signal to the overall output. This helps to restore the low end that is often masked or over-compressed in the distortion process.
FEA Labs Dual Distortion pedal details:
- Small footprint design: 4.5” by 3.5”
- Activation footswitch (stomp switch) with direct bypass when the pedal is not active
- Dual band configuration with drive and level controls on each
- Three blend-able distortion types (hard clipping, octave, & overdrive)
- Adjustable crossover frequency control
- Passive tone on the low distortion & active two band EQ on the high overdrive
- Dry signal level blend on the low band
- Distortion bypass band selection switch
- Distortion bypass band activation footswitch (stomp switch)
- 18 volt circuitry powered by a 9 volt battery or standard 9 volt DC adapter