FEA Labs Releases Photon Fuzz Pedal
FEA Labs has just announced the Photon Fuzz, a dual band distortion pedal named after a circuit component in the unit that uses infrared light to control the fuzz distortion.
The unit’s drive and bite controls work on both guitar and bass signals to define the fuzz tone’s character. Drive sets the overall gain, and bite sets the activation point where the distortion “bites” into the signal. The overall distortion signal output is managed by the level control.
The Photon Fuzz has an 3-band EQ with an active two-stage boost/cut design and a separate mid-band circuit from the low and high level circuits. The EQ circuit can be adjusted to a boost/cut of +/- 15dB, providing lots of tone shaping capabilities. A pre-fuzz, high-pass filter can be set using the unit’s internal DIP switches.
For bassists, a dry blend control allows for an added dry (unprocessed) signal to be blended with the distorted signal, to preserve the low end. The dry signal can be set using the DIP switches to set a low-pass filter, to filter out the higher frequencies and harmonics from the dry tone.
The Photon Fuzz also includes an octave distortion capability, controlled with an optional footswitch. The octave circuit sits after the fuzz and EQ stages, and controls the amount of the octave effect that is applied to the overall fuzz tone. Like the dry tone controls, an optional low-pass filter can be applied using the DIP switches to limit some of the high frequency artifacts.
The Photon Fuzz is available now from FEA Labs at a price of $195.00. For more information, check out the FEA Labs website.
Photon Fuzz Specs:
- Small footprint design: 4.5” by 3.5”
- Activation footswitch (stomp switch) with true bypass when the pedal is not active
- Octave footswitch (stomp switch) to activate the octave distortion feature
- Drive, Bite, and Level controls to shape the fuzz tone
- 3-band active EQ for additional tone shaping
- Dry blend control with configurable low-pass filter
- Octave distortion control with configurable low-pass filters
- Pre-fuzz high-pass filter settings of 55Hz, 110Hz, or 220Hz
- Dry blend low-pass filter settings of full band (off), 160Hz, or 1600Hz
- Octave distortion low-pass filter settings of full band (off), 500Hz, or 4000Hz