G&L Introduces M-Series Basses
Thirty years after the introduction of their flagship L-2000 model, G&L has unveiled their new M-series basses. The M-2000 and M2500 both build upon their predecessor, which was first designed by Leo Fender in 1981, and aim to be more flexible while retaining the same attitude.
The M-series basses still feature dual MFD humbuckers, but the pickups have been voiced to maximize the potential for their new studio-quality 18-volt preamp. The new electronics provide High, Mid, and Low, and for blending pickups, G&L ditched the pickup toggle switch in favor of a Pan knob in order to “explore the full range of sounds available between the two pickups.”
The M-2000 and M-2500 are 4 and 5-string models respectively, and only differ in that the M-2000 comes standard with an Alder body while the M-2500 is typically Basswood. Both basses are available in “Premier Finishes”, in which case the bodies are made of Swamp Ash.
The M-series basses also feature hard rock maple necks with either a rosewood or maple fingerboard. The neck has a nut width of 1 5/8” (1 3/4” on the M-2500), with a classic “C” shape – another throwback feature that G&L had discontinued in the mid-80’s. The 21 medium jumbo frets are processed by PLEK.
Hardware on the instruments includes the company’s custom “Ultra-Lite” tuning keys with aluminum tapered string posts and their Saddle Lock bridge with chrome-plated bass saddles.
The G&L M-2000 and M-2500 are available for order now with MSRPs of $1,800 and $1,950, respectively. For more info, visit the G&L website.
G&L M-Series Bass Specs:
- Pickups: Two G&L Magnetic Field humbucking pickups
- Body Wood for M-2000: Alder on Standard and all solid finishes, Swamp Ash on Premier Finishes
- Body Wood for M-2500: Basswood on Standard and all solid finishes, Swamp Ash on Premier Finishes
- Neck Wood: Hard Rock Maple with Rosewood or Maple fingerboard
- Neck Profile for M-2000: G&L #12 with 12” radius and 1 5/8” nut-width
- Neck Profile for M-2500: G&L #10 with 12” radius and 1 3/4” nut-width
- Frets: Medium Jumbo; processed by PLEK
- Tuning Keys: Custom G&L “Ultra-Lite” with aluminum tapered string posts
- Bridge: G&L Saddle Lock with chrome-plated brass saddles
- Electronics: G&L M-spec 18v preamp, volume, pan, 3-band boost/cut EQ with center detents
- Case: Deluxe Hardshell Tolex Case w/Fitted Interior