DeMars Guitars’ Long Trail bass is no doubt an instrument for proud players of the low end. Inspired by Vermont’s hiking trail of the same name, the Long Trail is a a chambered solid-body instrument sporting the company’s patented bass clef soundhole, which the company calls “a stunning visual signature for forward-thinking bassists.”
We call it righteous.
The Long Trail comes in 4 and 5-string versions and is built with a basswood body and either a AAA Englemann spruce or AAAAA flame maple top. For an added touch, the bass has rosewood edge binding with contrasting edge purfling around the top. The 3-piece rock maple neck features an integrated headstock and is topped with either a rosewood or ebony fingerboard.
Hardware on the bass includes Gotoh tuners, a 2-way adjustable truss rod, a TUSQ nut, and an Earvana compensated acoustic saddle, though the 5-string model replaces the Earvana with a TUSQ bridge. The pickups are a pair of piezo transducers placed under the saddle and at the neck heel, with the latter location capturing more of the influence of the neck. These are then fed into a K&K PowerBlend 2-channel 9V preamp. DeMars ships the bass with the “sweet spot” already set, but users can adjust each channel’s EQ independently via the preamp board in the control cavity. A rosewood master volume knob is situated on the lower side of the bridge.
The DeMars Long Trail bass is made in Vermont and carries a list price of $3,300 for a 4-string and $3,600 for a 5-string version. For more info, check out the DeMars Guitars website.
DeMars Guitars Long Trail Photo Gallery:
DeMars Guitars Long Trail Bass Specs:
- Body: Basswood (opaque black finish); optional mahogany (clear finish)
- Neck: 3-piece rock maple with integrated headstock
- Fingerboard: Rosewood or fretless ebony; radius: 10” (4-string), 16” (5-string)
- Tops: AAA Englemann spruce (natural finish only), AAAAA flame maple (natural)
- Edge binding: Rosewood with b/w/b border, contrasting edge purfling around top
- Length: 43.8”; 45.5” for 5-string
- Scale length: 34”; 35” for 5-string
- Width: 14”
- Thickness: 2”
- Weight: 5.8 lbs; 6.3 lbs for 5-string
- Nut width: 1.75”; 1.81” for 5-string
- Nut material: TUSQ
- Bridge material: Earvana Compensated Acoustic Saddle; TUSQ on 5-string
- Tuners: Gotoh compact bass tuners (gold finish standard)
- Truss rod: 2-way, adjustable; graphite rod neck inserts
- Pickups & electronics by K&K Sound: Two piezo transducers: under-saddle and at neck heel; 2-channel 9-volt preamp, master volume control located on bridge, mono output