In addition to the recently reintroduced Coronado Bass, Fender has added another classic design to their Modern Player Series with the Starcaster Bass.
Based on the Starcaster guitar, the semi-hollow bass was designed in the mid-1970s and was never officially produced. Fender calls it one of their rarest instruments as only a handful of prototypes were built.
The Fender Modern Player Starcaster Bass is short-scale (30″) instrument defined by its thin semi-hollow offset body with a bound maple top and f-holes. Its maple neck has a “C” shape profile and leads up to a curvy, retro Starcaster headstock.
The bass is fitted with two Fender “Wide Range” humbuckers controlled with a 3-way toggle switch with volume and tone knobs for each pickup. Other features include a four-saddle Fender Hi-Mass bridge, four skirted “amp” style control knobs, and black dot inlays. It’s available in three finishes: Natural, Black, and Aged Cherry Burst.
The Fender Modern Player Starcaster Bass will be available soon with a street price around $749. For more info, check out the Fender website.
Fender Modern Player Starcaster Bass Photos:
Fender Modern Player Starcaster Bass Specs:
- Body Material: Alder with Maple Top and Back
- Body Finish: Gloss Polyester
- Body Shape: Other
- Body Binding: Bound Top and Back
- Neck Material: Maple
- Neck Finish: Gloss Polyester
- Neck Shape: “C” Shape
- Scale Length: 30″ (762 mm)
- Fingerboard: Maple
- Fingerboard Radius: 9.5″ (241 mm)
- Number of Frets: 22
- Fret Size: Medium Jumbo
- String Nut: Synthetic Bone
- Nut Width: 1.625″ (41.3 mm)
- Position Inlays: Black Dot
- Truss Rods: Standard
- Neck Plate: 4-Bolt
- Bridge Pickup: Fender “Wide Range” Humbucking Bass
- Neck Pickup: Fender “Wide Range” Humbucking Bass
- Controls: Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Tone 2. (Bridge Pickup)
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Pickup Configuration: HH
- Bridge: 4-Saddle Fender Hi-Mass
- Hardware Finish: Chrome
- Tuning Machines: Standard Open-Gear
- Control Knobs: Skirted Amp Knobs
- Strings: Fender USA Bass 7250M, NPS (.045-.105 Gauges)