Bass of the Week: Pedulla MVP/Buzz
Fretted and fretless models respectively, the Pedulla MVP and Buzz are the flagship basses based on the design that first brought luthier Michael Pedulla to prominence. The unique body shape and fresh approach to ergonomics set them apart from standard designs.
The bass starts with a three-piece laminated maple neck that’s reinforced with a double-acting truss rod and two steel bars. Flame maple wings are glued on to complete the body, and the neck is topped with a 24-fret ebony fingerboard. The Buzz’s fretless fingerboard is inlaid with white markers and finished with polyester, giving it a hard and glassy finish.
Both the MVP and Buzz are available with PJ, JJ, or Soap Bar pickups made for Pedulla by Bartolini that are then matched with an active treble and bass controls. Further tonal shaping is accomplished with an adjustable midrange boost/cut switch. The amount of mid boost and cut can be set by the trim pots inside the control cavity.
Basses can be made to order, but Pedulla suggests the options offered on their website are there for a reason. “Specific models have only specific options for a reason,” Pedulla told us in our Custom Shop interview. “Each and every part of an instrument is not based just on what looks good or what might be cool, it’s based on precise combinations of material and design. Each and every part is chosen for a reason, to change any one of them changes the character of the bass.”
Pedulla MVP/Buzz Bass Videos:
Pedulla MVP/Buzz Bass Photo Gallery:
Pedulla MVP/Buzz Bass Specs/Options:
- Body Wings: AA or AAA Flame maple, Optional Limited Edition 5A Flame or Quilt maple
- Neck: Capillary (neck-through), three piece maple laminate
- Scale: 34?
- Fingerboard: Ebony
- Frets: 24/24 inlaid white markers, (plus finish on the fretless Buzz fingerboard)
- Inlay: Mother of Pearl, 5mm dots
- Nut: Bone
- Truss Rod: Single rod, double-acting adjustable with two stiffening bars
- Strings: .030, .045, .065, .080, .100, .128
- Weight: range from 9 to 10 pounds
- Hardware Colors: Gold, Black, or Chrome
- Bridge: ABM 3-way adjustable machined brass with roller saddles
- Machine Heads: M.V. Pedulla/Gotoh
- Strap Pins: Gotoh
- Pickups: Made for M.V. Pedulla by Bartolini: PJ, JJ or SB
- Electronics: Active, Bartolini
- Controls: volume, pan, bass boost/cut, treble boost/cut, mid boost/cut (toggle)
- Control Knobs: Anodized aluminum (black with marker)
- Finish: Gloss polyester, including Buzz fingerboard