Paul Wolfe Publishes “How To Play Blues Rock Bass Vol. 1”
Paul Wolfe of how-to-play-bass.com has released a new book that will teach you the ways of players like Tommy Shannon, Carl Radle, and Duck Dunn. How to Play Blues Rock Bass Vol. 1 is the first of a three-part series that will teach you devices to be competent in the style.
“Over the last 10 years, I’ve transcribed literally thousands of bass lines, not just in blues-rock, but across all musical genres, and identified the common vocabulary that players like the above plus James Jamerson and Paul McCartney and John Paul Jones and a host of others all use in their bass lines,” Wolfe explains. “That common vocabulary – I call the individual vocabulary pieces ‘devices’ – occurs in 95% plus of all good bass lines. And I’ve distilled that down into an easy to follow/quick to implement learning system that will teach YOU how to play authentic sounding blues rock bass lines.”
Topics include the most commonly used devices in blues-rock, how to create your own bass lines, how to fill the sonic void in a trio during the guitar solo, how to set up hits, and more.
How to Play Blues Rock Bass Vol. 1 is 103-pages and comes with over 175 MP3 tracks for practicing. It’s available now through Amazon.
- The two most commonly used devices in blues rock (Sections 2 and 3)
- How to create your own bass lines – and avoid the ‘Tyranny Of Tempo’ (Section 12)
- How to create harmonic variation in your lines using modifying devices (Section 4)
- Over 175 MP3 tracks to download and practice with (Bonus Website Version)
- What to play on ‘bar 9’ of the blues form (Section 5)
- How to fill the sonic hole in the classic 3 piece line up when the guitarist starts to solo (Section 11)
- How to put one bar devices together to create two bar devices (Section 7)
- Perpetual Motion practice exercises for devices using cycle tracks (Bonus Website Version)
- How to lead into a stop verse, set up the ‘hits’ and then lead out again (Section 8)
- How to use devices you’ve learned to work through new key centres (Bonus Website Version)