Slam Stewart was the master of the bowed bass solo, and his recorded solos with artists such as Lester Young, Art Tatum, Don Byas, Coleman Hawkins, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie and Slim Gaillard are now collected into a single book, 134 Arco Solos for the Doublebass.
The 114-page book Stewart’s arco bass solos, recorded between 1938 and 1952, in complete standard notation (no TAB).
134 Arco Solos for the Doublebass Features:
- 28 solos from Slim and Slam recordings
- Solo from “Stormy Weather” with Fats Waller
- Session with Lester Young including outtakes
- 17 solos from the Art Tatum trio
- The 1945 duet at Town Hall with Don Byas
- A warm up with Coleman Hawkins, followed by three tunes, three takes each
- Red Norvo’s famous jam session with Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie