Snarky Puppy joined with a host of vocalists and musicians in February 2015 in New Orleans to record an album in front of a live studio audience. Now, that album, and an accompanying video, documenting the performance is available to hear and watch as Family Dinner, Vol. 2.
The project from Snarky Puppy, led by bassist/composer Michael League, aims to be a testament, “showing first-hand how music can be a bridge between diverse cultures from countries from all over the world to create a unifying musical statement for the average listener or the devout music connoisseur,” according to the band’s website. The film included in this set has been screened in theaters this year, as well.
Guest musicians include talents as diverse as David Crosby of Crosby, Stills & Nash, Peruvian singer/songwriter Susana Baca, New Orleans jazz trumpeter and bandleader Terence Blanchard, Malian musician Salif Keita and the Swedish folk-rock band Väsen.
Take a look at the album’s trailer to see how it all came together:
A portion of the album’s sales proceeds will be donated to Roots of Music, and New Orleans organization that empowers the youth of New Orleans through music education, academic support, and mentorship.
Family Dinner, Vol. 2 Track List:
- I Asked (featuring Becca Stevens & Väsen)
- Molino Molero (featuring Susana Baca & Charlie Hunter)
- Liquid Love (featuring Chris Turner)
- Soro (Afriki) (featuring Salif Keita, Carlos Malta, & Bernardo Aguiar)
- Sing to the Moon (featuring Laura Mvula & Michelle Willis)
- Don’t You Know (featuring Jacob Collier & Big Ed Lee)
- I Remember (featuring Knower & Jeff Coffin)
- Somebody Home (featuring David Crosby)
- Bonus Tracks (Included on the physical DVD or digital deluxe edition)
- Shapons Vindaloo (featuring Väsen)
- Fuego y Agua (featuring Susana Baca)
- Brother, I’m Hungry (featuring NOLA International)