Left Hand Dexterity Drills on Two Strings
After you feel comfortable with the single string exercises from last time you may want to challenge yourself a bit more with the two string exercises below.
Two String Left Hand Dexterity Drill Notes:
- These exercises can be done pizzicato or arco.
- If done pizzicato, I suggest beginning each pattern using the second finger of your right hand, followed by the first (i.e. 2-1) and alternating without exception.
- If done arco, I suggest you experiment with different bowings as you become comfortable with the left hand challenges.
- If done on electric bass, you should substitute third finger (3) for fourth finger (4) below, and expand the patterns to include all the left hand finger combinations available to you.
Two String Left Hand Dexterity Drill Keys to Success:
- Start very slowly, and gradually speed up the tempo
- Use a metronome to ensure a steady tempo and to help you mark your progress
- Use minimum pressure and minimum muscular effort
- Never “play through the pain.” If you get tense, stop.
- Gauge your progress in months, not days.
Note: Although they are written for the D and G strings, you should play these patterns on the E and A strings as well.