Bass of the Week: Music Man Big Al
In 2009, Music Man introduced a bass version of their Albert Lee Signature guitar called the Big Al. Its angular body and unique pickups caught the community’s attention, and the next year the company announced a 5-string version.
The Big Al and Big Al 5 are built with African mahogany bodies, maple necks, and maple or rosewood fingerboards with a fretless option of Pau Ferro. It comes with two options for pickups: a single humbucker with ceramic magnets or three single-coils with neodymium magnets. The humbucker option has a 2-way push button to toggle between series and parallel, while the triple single-coil option has a 2-way push button for each pickup to select or deselect it.
Electronics include an active/passive setup with a 2-way push button to select either mode. The active controls include Volume, Treble, High-Mid, Low-Mid, and Bass.
For more info, check out the Music Man website.
Music Man Big Al Specs:
- Construction: Bolt-on (5-bolts)
- Weight: 4-string: 9 lbs, 3 oz (4.17 kg); 5-string: 9 lbs, 10 oz (4.36 kg) (varies slightly)
- Body Wood: African Mahogany
- Body Finish: High gloss polyester
- Bridge: Standard Music Man® chrome plated, hardened steel bridge plate with stainless steel saddles
- Pickguard: Standard: Black or White; Optional: Shell, White Pearloid, Vintage White Pearloid, or Black Pearloid.
- Scale Length: 34? (86.4 cm)
- Neck Radius: 11? (27.9 cm)
- Frets: 22 High profile, wide
- Neck Wood: Select maple neck
- Fingerboard: Fretted – maple or rosewood; Fretless – Pau Ferro with or without inlaid fretlines
- Neck Finish: Gunstock oil and hand-rubbed special wax blend
- Neck Colors: Standard – Natural; Optional – Matching painted headstock
- Tuning Machines: Custom Music Man, lightweight with tapered string posts and ergonomic design
- Truss Rod: Adjustable
- Electronic Shielding: Graphite acrylic resin coated body cavity
- Controls: Passive preamp: 500kohm volume and 250kohm tone – .047µF tone capacitor; Active preamp: 4-band EQ – 25kohm volume, treble, high-mid, low-mid, bass
- Switching: Single Pickup – 2-way push button active/passive selector, 2-way push button series/parallel selector; Triple Pickup – 3 x 2-way push button pickup selector, 2-way push button active/passive selector
- Pickups: Standard – Single Humbucking with ceramic magnets; Optional – Triple Single coil Neodymium magnets